Tuesday 11 December 2012

Digipak- production







When producing our digipak, we decided to use footsteps on the front cover. This is because it relates well back to our chosen song. I used White chalk and black paper where I sketched out an outline of footsteps. Using my skills on photoshop, I changed the image to black and white and then enhanced the levels and curves in order to highlight the footsteps drawn in white chalk.

Our chosen song is in the genre of indie, this is why we decided to use black and white. I think black and white looks very effective on the front cover and fits the genre of indie well. As usually indie bands are 'all about the music' rather than about the band members and the publicity of the band members. Indie bands tend to sell their music, not themselves.


When researching a variety of digipaks to give us inspiration and ideas when planning our digipak, indie bands digipaks tended to very simplistic and not so 'in your face' which is the complete opposite to digipaks we researched of popular music bands/artists.




I edited this image using Photoshop where I transformed the image into black and white, by doing this it has made the main focus of the image on the guitar. By doing it suggests to our target audience that their album is purely focusing on the music they are producing rather than the publicity and fame. I also enhanced the contrast and shadows and highlights of the image, this showed of the different lights and shadows reflecting off of the guitar which makes the image interesting and aesthetically appealing.


I edited this image using Photoshop where I changed the image to black and white and then cropped the image so it a mid shot of the band image. I then enhanced the brightness and contrast of this image, by doing this it shows the dark and light parts of the image and shows the contrast between the darker and lighter tones in the image.


I edited this photo using Photoshop, by doing this I changed this image to black and white by changing the levels of the image. When taking this image we also added lighting, by doing this it highlights the instruments, amps and also the microphone which fits out genre of indie well due to the fact that most indie bands use guitars and amps.


Using word for the back of this image, I copy and pasted the footsteps which I edited previously on Photoshop and then changed the sizes of the footsteps in order to look like the footsteps look like they are walking up the edge of the cover. We decided to produce the back cover in black after looking at existing digipaks due to majority of the digipaks being simplistic and using dark and dingy colours, as opposed to pop music who use bright and bold colours.


By Amy Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment